Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Family Shoes

Observe the Wingtips.


These shoes have had quite a life.

They were my grandfather's; he purchased them in the late 80's (not even kidding)
and wore them for special occasions.  He actually wore them at my wedding.

After he passed away, they were still in good shape and since they fit Andy,
they came to live at our house.  Andy has worn them to numerous events; the most
noteworthy being my grandmother's funeral, several of his sibling's weddings, 
and most recently, our niece's wedding. 

Before he outgrew them, John wore them too!  School speeches and presentations,
awards banquets, and homecoming...John wore them multiple times.

Tonight, they took on yet another life when Matthew slipped into them for his
vocal debut as part of the DNHS Men's Ensemble.  He was amazing;
if I'd have been wearing any buttons I'm sure that they would have been busting.


I don't know if such things really happen, but I like to think that
Granddad has been looking down on us for all of these years
and laughing that these old things are still of any use.

While no one will ever truly fill his shoes,
I'm glad that we have this silly little way to remember and honor him. 



1 comment:

Joy said...

AWESOME!! I love this story.
Also, I love that Matthew is singing in an ensemble! I want to hear it and let's admit it, I want to sing with him too!:)