Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ten Times Two


Hold on to you hats and glasses, this is going to be a long one!  

Ten on Tuesday is my favorite recurring theme because of my affinity for lists (they make everything better).  My initial list for today was “Things That I Miss.”  I’m not feeling down in the dumps or anything, missing things is just a part of life.  However, sticking with my attempt at being more thankful this year, I decided to follow it up with a list of “New Things That I Am Thankful For.”  Cool, eh?

Ten Things That I Miss (in no particular order)

1.  El Dorado.  It was a little family owned restaurant on Clairemont Mesa Boulevard and we went there all the time when I was young.  I wish they hadn’t closed!

2.  Elliot Stabler.  SVU hasn’t been the same without him.  Don’t even get me started on Munch leaving too!

3.  Owning a dog.  This is the first time in my life that neither I nor my parents own a dog.  Anyone want to give me a golden retriever puppy for Christmas?

4.  Singing on a worship team where my Dad happened to be the piano player.  It was a blessing that for years I took for granted. 
 
5.  Filippi’s.  I know, I know…technically it’s still there (Kearny Villa Road) but they renovated it so much that it doesn’t even resemble its former self.  The quaintness and charm are gone.

6.  My 25 year old body.

7.  Lemon cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.  It was my favorite.

8.  My Grandparents.  What I wouldn’t give for just one more day with them!

9.  Getting my nails done every two weeks.  There are more important things to pay for now, like college for my children.  Still, I miss the luxury.
 
10.  Jack in the Box nachos.  Anyone remember those?  I was sooooooo sad when they stopped selling those!  (I’m a card-carrying nacho junkie.)


And now (again, in no particular order), Ten New Things That I Am Thankful For

1.  The pumpkin candle in our bedroom.  It makes everything smell like fall and it’s kind of wonderful.

2.  Robin.  She’s my new principal at work.  Sadly, while she just began this year, she is going to be leaving us at the end of the month.  Still, I rejoice for our time with her; the school is better for having had her, and I have been so blessed by her.

3.  Our new(ish) church.  Seriously, AMAZING.  The lead pastor who challenges us every week, the youth staff who are such incredible and godly men to mentor our sons, our insanely talented worship leader, our home group…everything about GVC is like a breath of fresh air.

4.  Denny’s cheeseburgers.  You wouldn’t think that they would be great, but try one…they’re pretty tasty.

5.  Andy time.  An added bonus of the kids getting older is that we have more time together; more than we’ve ever had, actually.  It’s kind of wonderful being married to your best friend and we are enjoying getting to know each other again.

6.  My new pants.  I bought a new pair to go with my Halloween costume and I love them.

7.  Mushroom popcorn.  So big and fluffy!

8.  Wilhelmina Peppermints from World Market.  Hopefully they’ll end up in my stocking this year.

9.  The ability to deposit checks by taking a picture with your cell phone.  

10.  My cell phone cover.  It’s from a picture that I took in Berlin and it makes me smile every single day.


So there…what I miss and what I am thankful for, all rolled into one. 

(P.S.  You’re going to want to tune in next Tuesday.  My list will be an interactive little game and a prize will be involved!)

1 comment:

Joy said...

Do you know what? Things that you miss are things you're thankful for too, they're just things from the past...and the feeling is more bittersweet of course.

On a completely different note: I just recently had my first ever Wilhelmina Peppermint compliments of my (very) Dutch father-in-law. They are so yummy!