Sunday, November 3, 2013

A New Day

My favourite day of the week used to be Friday...now Sundays are my favourite.  (Please excuse the "u," I'm sipping some tea and feeling British.)

Several reasons come to mind:  

For the first time in years, we're attending a church that we love.  It's amazing the difference that makes!  We're in the middle of football season; that's always a bonus.  Naps...who doesn't love a Sunday afternoon nap?  I've been consciously trying to get most of my busy work done on Saturdays to free up Sunday afternoons and it's amazing how recharged I feel on Mondays by having a (mostly) true day of rest.  Today was made even more fantastic by not having to observe Daylight Savings Time.  I can't stand it and was practically giddy when it was dark by 5pm!  I'm a nighttime girl.

While those are great reasons on their own, the biggest reason for my love of Sundays is my afternoon phone call. We had mentioned to our firstborn before he left that hearing from him weekly would be nice.  Once he was up there and got settled, we fell into a rhythm and now he calls each Sunday between noon and 1pm.  It’s seriously the highlight of my week.  Maybe not his; certainly mine.  Hearing his voice and a little bit of how his week has gone does a mama's heart good.  I'm still getting used to this parent-of-a-college-student thing.  Some days I don't think about it at all, others are more difficult.  The weekly phone calls help during the harder times.  

In closing, I'll share a couple of photos.  We found ourselves needing to run to Wal-Mart after church this morning.  I really dislike the place, but having two of my people with me can liven up even the worst of errands.  

 
He really can rock a hat;
we probably should have bought it.

We didn't realize that they carried
so many Magic cards.
He was impressed.
 
Okay, I may have said, "Matthew, jump in the cart!"
He's always such good sport, though.






2 comments:

Joy said...

Matt totally rocks that hat!
I was also really, really excited when it was getting dark at 4:30 this afternoon!! I love long, cozy evenings too! The only problem is that it makes me want to bake all the time! I guess that doesn't have to be a problem as long as I can find volunteers to eat what I bake before I do it myself!:)
Lastly, but not least(ly) I am so glad you have a church that you enjoy attending! That is such a gift!!

Thany said...

Hmmmm, might have to grab the hat...never know what to get him for Christmas!!