Saturday, November 30, 2013

My Choice

November is almost done?  Really?  Actually, I can't decide whether I think it flew by or crept along forever.  Regardless, the calendar tells me that today is the last day of the month and therefore the end of another NaBloPoMo journey.

I began the month by sharing that one of my goals was (and still is) to become a more thankful person and to that end, I had purchased a little decorative reminder.  I wondered at the time if it would really work or not.  Now that the month is over, I can assure you that it has indeed been a help to me.  Each and every time I walk up our stairs, I see it and am reminded that I really do have so many things to be thankful for.  As I reflect back on all the happenings of the last thirty days, I can truly say that it has been a good month.  Matthew has stepped out of his comfort zone and done some great things, Andy and I have had some great time together and have become even closer, there has been a boatload of family time, and John was able to come home for Thanksgiving.  All wonderful things! 

Unfortunately, the mini-disaster with the house has really thrown me for a loop; it has threatened to overwhelm me.  For the last few days as I've looked at my "thankful" sign, I've fought discouragement and rather grudgingly uttered a few words of gratitude for something or another.  I don't know what we're going to do or where the road ahead is going to lead, and I really don't like the uncertainty.  Routine and planning...those are the things that I embrace; I don't do well with the unexpected and unknown. 

Today, however, as I was getting out the Christmas decorations, I saw the other little banner that I purchased last month.  When I was standing at a craft fair a month ago, I had no idea what we were going to be dealing with or that I would need another reminder after I had taken the fall decorations down.  Thankfully, the Lord knew.  I could have purchased any number of other banners with various other holiday sayings, but I truly believe that I was led to this one.



No matter where this road leads or how long it takes, I will continue to work on my thankfulness.  I'm not saying that there won't be any discouraging moments or tears; in fact, I'm sure that they are likely to pop up every now and then.  You might even have to give me a nudge in the right direction. 

But I will not be overcome. 
I will choose joy. 

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans 15:13

No comments: