Wednesday, November 20, 2013

An Unpopular Opinion



When I opine, I often find myself on the unpopular side of an argument.  I don’t set out to be difficult or contrary, it’s just the way I’m wired.   I suppose it helps me fit in around the house as two of the most contrarian people I know are my husband and one of my offspring.  But I digress…

Today I am going to say a few words about the Batkid story.  Unless you live under a rock (or just don’t keep up on the news), you are probably aware that last week, San Francisco played host to a ginormous Make-A-Wish event at which a child who was in remission (…didn’t know they granted wishes for kids who were in remission.  Hmmm.) from leukemia wanted to be Batman for a day.  The city jumped on board, the kid dressed up, and he spent the day “fighting crime” at a bunch of staged scenes.  The whole thing culminated with the kid receiving a “key to the city” a huge, end of the day bash; it was quite a big production.  And there, in my mind, lies the problem.  The price tag for the day was $105,000, and the city is going to pay for it.

While I know that cities waste obscene amounts of money all the time, my city included, I think it’s very wrong to use city funds (taxpayer funds) for something like this.  The event was so over-the-top and now the city is on the hook for the bill.  I don’t understand this.  It was a Make-A-Wish gift, why didn’t they pay for it?  Why must a city, why must the taxpayers, be responsible for a dime?  Giving to a charity like this should be a choice.  A personal choice.  It shouldn’t be forced upon one by the city taking one’s tax dollars to do so.  If we were all rich, and every city was perfect and there were no needs anywhere, then maybe.  But while kids in school don’t have books, while teachers don’t have adequate supplies (trust me, I work for a school district), while the roads are a mess and there are a myriad of other local problems, tax dollars shouldn’t be funneled off to pay a charity’s bill.

I’m sure that some of you are rolling your eyes right now and accusing me of not having a heart.  That’s okay, I can take it; at least I’m consistent.  Before you write me off completely, think about how you’d feel if your hard-earned dollars were spent on something that wasn’t a cute, feel-good story.  What would you think then?  What are your thoughts when reports come out regarding local government waste?  My guess is that you probably don’t like it.  But most people are willing to look aside in this case because a child is involved.  What about the other thousands of children who are going to want uber-extravagant wishes granted now?  I could see this easily becoming a “bigger and better” thing, just like kids’ birthday parties.  Remember when cupcakes and a swimming pool were enough?  Now you have to get your elementary aged kids limos and plan insanely grown-up and pricey things, just to keep up.  What door has this opened?

I’m all for Make-A-Wish, don’t get me wrong.  Although I really did think that it was for (and should be for) terminal kids.  My friends lost their daughter to cancer a little over 20 years ago and before she died, their daughter was granted a Wish.  Her dream was to meet Randy Travis, the country singer.  She met him, he was wonderful, and he dedicated a song to her from stage; to this day I think of Randy and his kindness towards Sharee and I smile.  I just think that things like this should be 100% privately funded.  The government has enough to do with our tax dollars, so much so that they keep asking for more of our money.  I’d like to see them taking care of their responsibilities rather than getting into the charity business.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Although I am undoubtedly a sappy soul, I have to agree with you. Another point I would make is this: is being batman for a day really the best thing you could do for this kid? I would say use some money so his parents can take some time off work and spend time with him, etc. I think your point about the "bigger/better" thing is right on.

Crayl said...

The bigger better thing is already ridiculous. I fully agree, the city shouldn't pay for this. I don't know about the terminal thing. I have a friend with a kid that has CF. They know how bad it could be at any time, they know her life expectancy isn't th greatest. A lot better than when we were kids. A CF young woman made the news by having a baby, and others making it to 30. She is often part of MAW events, but like, being on the field at halftime during a ballgame, stuff like that. That makes sense to me.

Cyn said...

Agreed! I didn't realize the city was picking up the tab. If individuals wanted to donate their time and money for something like this then fantastic, but to take it from city funds is uncool!