Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Letter X

Okay, I almost didn't post a list today; I totally couldn't come up with ten X words. However, I thought of my friend Crayl, and I didn't want to let her down. So, a few are mine, a few I had to look up....but here you go: ten X words that I'm thankful for.

(In no particular order, except that #10 is my favorite. And no fair scrolling ahead. Wait until you get there!)

1. X-Rays. They've diagnosed broken bones for my kids, ruled out/confirmed respiratory infections, showed the cracks in my teeth....all sorts of things.

2. X-Men. Not really up there with my movie favorites, but I'll use any excuse to look at Hugh Jackman for a few hours. (Also, the way Magneto breaks out of jail in the second movie totally rocks.)

3. X Chromosomes. They're a necessity.

4. Xylose. A sugar extracted from wood or straw. Heck, sugar is sugar, right? I'd try it!

5. Xanthophyll. A yellow coloring matter found in yellow autumn leaves. Who doesn't love autumn leaves!

6. Xena: Warrior Princess. Make no mistake, I was never a fan of the show, but we did watch it and laugh at it from time to time. Kind of our own MST3K.

7. Xylophones. Especially the cute, multi-colored Fisher Price xylophones. One of the classic, must-have toys.

8. Xerox Machines. "Makin' copies."

9. Xylocaine. A topical, local anesthetic. With all of the dental work that I've had done, I'm super thankful for the topical that you get before you get the shots!!!

10. Xerxes the Great. Without him, there might not have been the battle of Thermopylae, and then there would have been no need for the movie 300 (one of my absolute favorites) and THEN I would not have been able to list one of my favorite quotes:

"The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed."


Whew! I did it! :-)

4 comments:

Crayl said...

Xcellent...:)
Super list, and I will remember the xylophones when you have grandkids. (many , many years from now)

JamieB said...

your quote at the end is sorta fitting for where we could be headed - sigh. i'll stand with ya.

MomOfDudes said...

Your X list makes you sound like such a smartie.

Hugh Jackman Yeah baby!

Thany said...

You are swesome for doing this. You win for Crayl's Best Friend. :)
(At least for today!)