Sunday, November 4, 2012

Not Your Typical Girl

I've never been a girlie girl.

My earliest and best childhood friends were a pair of boys and a girl who was a bit of a tomboy herself. I had a few token Barbies that I played when when I was alone, but I spent most of my time playing Star Wars and Super Heroes with the aforementioned boys. At recess, while the rest of the girls were prancing around in their made-up Unicorn Club (I'm not kidding), I was the 4-Square queen. In junior high and high school, I did use my fair share of cosmetics and hair products, but I never really did embrace all things girlie. I think the Lord knew what He was doing when He made me a boy mom.

That being said, every now and again I do wish that I enjoyed a few more feminine things; it would be convenient. While I do love a good spa treatment, that's about where my girlie side ends. Whenever my lady friends have a girls movie night, it's never something that I want to see; I'd much rather sneak in to men's movie night.

This weekend, another example of my non-traditional views popped up: shopping.

So many of my friends love to spend time at the mall; I can't stand it. I had to get some coordinating clothes for our Christmas photos and I'd put it off until the day before the shoot - I really couldn't wait any longer. I spent several hours at the mall yesterday and I hated every second of it. Since I was up there, I had a few other things that I needed and I actually considered skipping them so that I could leave! Thankfully, I soldiered on and took care of what needed to be done. 

Afterward, as I was rushing back to my car thankful to be leaving the crowds and the clutter, I had a terrifying thought: It's time to start Christmas shopping! Perhaps I'll spend a little extra time with Amazon this year. 

1 comment:

Kristy B said...

Amazon is my biggest friend!!