Monday, November 26, 2012

Look At Me...All Grown Up


While cruising through BevMo yesterday, Andy was drawn to an Irish whiskey that he hadn't had before.  (He's really a Scotch man, but he likes to dabble in the Irish every now and again.)  Why did he notice this particular bottle?  Well, listen to the what the back label says - it sounds like something that he would write!

"By cracking this seal of The Knot you accept that drinking is never to be taken lightly and promise to act in a responsible fashion - not like some blithering idiot.  You promise to drink The Knot straight-up in a proper shot glass, rather than mixing it in some sort of novelty, tiny umbrella, fruit fiasco.  And finally, you vow that you will never drink to anything that you are not prepared to go through with.  If, in any way, you are not willing to abide by these conditions, by all means, please refrain from opening this bottle."

See?  How could he NOT try this one?

Late last night, after he'd opened it and poured himself some, he offered me a sip.  This is not unusual; he generally does offer me a sip, I say okay, I take a sip, and then I make a horrible face.  This is just how we roll.

But gasp!  Imagine my surprise when I didn't make a face, and in fact took a second sip!  After the third sip, I was amazed to report that I kind of like it!  They were baby sips, mind you, but still... progress!

It's taken well over a decade but it's entirely possible that this winter, we will be able to sit outside on a cold, cold night and sip whiskey together.  I'm seriously happy.


No comments: