Thursday, November 22, 2012

For the Kids

As I sit here waiting for the pies to cook for our Thanksgiving celebration with my side of the family tomorrow, I find myself reflecting on today's celebration with Andy's side of the family. 

It became clear early in our relationship that my sisters-in-law had the Thanksgiving pies and cookies covered.  In an effort to find something that I could contribute, I once made some fudge and took it with us.  That was about ten years ago.  My fudge is now a staple, as is my homemade peppermint bark and almond candy.  Each year, I happily bring all kinds of sugary goodness with me when we head down for Thanksgiving.  This year, my Ventura nieces and nephews totally made my day when a few days ago, I heard that they were already looking forward to my candy.  It's good to know that you'll be remembered for something, right?  It's amazing the power a few simple words can have. 

That got me thinking about all of my nieces and nephews, and well, today I share my thoughts with them, and by extension, you.


Dear Chris, Tarah, Derry, Kali, Gabe, Mia, Jessica, Lucy, Leah, Jenna, Jarod, Laura, Jeremy, Jack, Jason, Emily, Joe, Abby and Nellie -

I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I am so thankful to have been able to spend my day with six of you.  I hope that the rest of you had a fabulous day, wherever you happen to be.

I've never had the opportunity to live in the same city as any of you, so honestly I don't know each of you as well as I would like.  I am so happy that some of us have Facebook, as it gives me an opportunity to know what is going on in your lives.  While I don't always comment on everything, I often leave that to your friends, I do keep tabs on you. 

Each year, I have the highest of hopes that I will remember each of your birthdays (on time!), and each year I fail.  Maybe one day I'll make it; I have hope!  Today, I just want each and every one of you to know that I love you.  I don't always see you, I don't always say it, but I do always think it.  I guess I need to work on the saying it part.  Each of you is very loved, and prayed for quite often. 

The Lord has blessed me with a bunch of "brothers and sisters" in your parents, and I am quite blessed and so proud to be your aunt. 

Love,
Auntie M.

No comments: