Thursday, November 1, 2012

Don't Do It, Fonzie...

...he did.
And in my opinion, so did George Lucas.
Star Wars has jumped the shark.

Let me back up for a second....
My Halloween decorations are still up and I don't have clean clothes for work tomorrow; arguably I have more important things to do.  Still, rumor has it that today is November 1st and therefore the beginning of NaBloPoMo.  Always up for a challenge, and possibly against my better judgment, I'm once again diving in.  Things are so crazy that I make no promises about quality this year, but I will do my best to get something posted every day. 

Now, back to the topic at hand; one that is very dear to my heart:  Star Wars.

Most of you are probably aware that a few days ago, it was announced that George Lucas has sold Lucasfilm to Disney for 4 billion dollars.   I understand that he wants to spend more time on indie projects, and heck, if you have something worth that much money, I guess I get the appeal of cashing out.  But Star Wars?  Really?

I'm a purist.  Give me a line from A New Hope...I can quote the next line back to you.  Seriously, I used to have the whole movie memorized.  I took my beloved Return of the Jedi lunch box to school every day in elementary school.  Oh the scorn that I was subjected to, a girl with a RotJ lunchbox, but I held my head up and carried it with pride.  I was once Princess Leia for Halloween; I considered naming one of my children after one of Han and Leia's children. I can obliterate most people at Star Wars Trivial Pursuit.  I'm telling you, I'm hard core.

That said, I'm not on board with the sale of the franchise.  I endured all of George's blasted tinkering; after all, he's the creator.  But to sell it to Disney?  No, the two shouldn't mix.  There's a photo floating around now with Vader bowing to Mickey.  SO not okay.  And check out this quote that I read, discussing the casting of Han, Leia and Luke for the next movie: "...Disney was not likely to take the risk of casting no-name actors and actresses as Lucas did, opting for “tried and true” as opposed to “new, young hotshots.”  Have you read some of the names floating around?  Rooney Mara or Jennifer Lawrence as Princess Leia?  Anton Yelchin or Liam Hemsworth as Luke?  And heaven forbid, Ryan Gosling as Han?  Are you kidding me?  From Harrison Ford to Ryan Gosling?  They might as well come out and admit that Greedo did shoot first!  Granted, these just various suggestions from people, but it goes to show you how irreverently this could be treated!  They're also going to be mass producing and mass marketing everything; the schedule that they've alluded to is nutty.  I'm afraid that there can indeed be too much of a good thing. 

Maybe I will be proven wrong.  If I end up enjoying the transition and subsequent films, I am more than willing to come back and post a retraction.  At this point though, I'm not very hopeful.  I love Disney and I love Star Wars.  I just don't see them being a winning combination.

No comments: