Monday, November 14, 2011

Talk Dirty To Me

I got you, didn't I? You probably clicked today just to see what the heck I was referring to. Get your mind of the gutter...it's not what you think. (I apologize to my mother-in-law.)

My blog tonight is about Poison and Talk Dirty To Me was one of my favorite songs when it was released back in 1987. However, even THAT isn't the Poison that I'm referring to; I just couldn't resist the pun. I'm talking about perfume, people!

Back in the day (probably in or about 1987, actually), super smelly perfume was all the rage. Giorgio, Obsession, White Diamonds, and yes, Poison. Add hair spray and deodorant to the mix and at any given time there were at least three layers of vapors hovering in my room.

Tonight, I was in a pub with some friends and I had to use the little girls' room. I excused myself from the table, dodged the pool cues that threatened to impale me, and headed past the kegs and into the bathroom. I opened the door and whoosh! I was greeted by a rush of Poison! Seriously, it was like stepping back in time to my seventh grade bedroom.

Someone must have taken a bath in it. (Which is probably what my mom thought I used to do.) I totally had to hold my breath while I was in there or my asthma would have kicked in. But as I was walking out, I stopped and inhaled just for a second or two. It's amazing how something as simple as a smell can completely take you back in time. For a few wonderful moments, I felt like the weight of life was lifted and I was a kid again. It made me smile.

The sense of smell is a powerful thing. Thank you, overly-perfumed woman at the pub...you made my night.

And I may or may not have been humming a few bars of Every Rose Has It's Thorn as I made my way back to the table...

No comments: