Sunday, November 6, 2011

Candy Eating 101

Today I would like to talk about what is, in my opinion, the proper way to eat Skittles.

I submit that Skittles should be separated by color,
and then each color should be eaten individually.


Last night our family had occasion to consume multiple snack-sized packages of Skittles and I watched over and over as both of the boys, along with Andy, would tear open the back and throw all of them into their mouth at the same time. This is wrong. Very wrong. It's not a problem that is exclusive to the snack packs, either. I've witnessed my kids reach their hands into the candy dish full of Skittles and grab a whole handful and without care or thought, eat all of them at once. Shameful.

If you eat them all at the same time, all you get to taste is a sugary blob. Sure, you might be able to detect trace flavors of something once resembling fruit, but unless you have an extremely discerning palate, you can't make out each flavor. You are truly missing out.

On the other hand, if you separate the colors and eat them individually, you can taste and enjoy each of the fruity flavors! Strawberry, Orange, Lemon, Green (yes, I just call it Green), and Grape. Perfect. One can choose one's own preferred order, mine is O, G, L, P, S. What matters is that each flavor gets it's due. Each is a tiny, juicy work of art in it's own right.

Does it surprise you that I have an order for something like this? It shouldn't. Heck, I even feel that there is a proper way to eat layer cake...but that is another blog entirely.

3 comments:

Sooz said...

I get not eating all flavors at once, but occasionally I do enjoy the orange/cherry or lemon/"green" combo. :-)

Amy said...

I completely separate them out, and the green ones are disposed of properly.

Barbara said...

Especially true of eating Jelly Bellies! Can't imagine eating a popcorn flavored one with a grape or lemon one--ugh! I used to think that tan M & M's tasted best too!