Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Conundrum

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin*.

This is a noteworthy fact for two reasons. First, I never read anything of this genre. Fantasy, Dragons...not my thing at all. Second, I know how it ends. HBO made a series out of the first book this past spring and we watched it. We loved it and Andy promptly read the series; there are five books currently, but I hear that there are more coming. He convinced me that while this isn't typically my style and I already knew the plot, that I'd enjoy it and I should give it a try.

He was right; I'm really liking it. This, however, leads me to my dilemma:

When I'm done with book one, what do I do? HBO is planning on a season two, based on the second book, due out after the first of the year. Do I go ahead and read the book, leaving nothing to surprise me on a show that I absolutely loved? Or do I wait, watch the show first, and then hope I enjoy the second book even though I'll know what's coming?

See?!?!? This is why I make it a habit never to read the book if I've seen the movie, or vice versa! I'm in such a pickle!


*I feel compelled to clarify that I purchased the book with the original cover on it, not the one shown with Boromir on it. It took great restraint, but I felt that it was the right thing to do.

3 comments:

Sooz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sooz said...

My theory is: the book is ALWAYS better than the movie. If you read the book right before seeing the movie, it ruins the movie. It never measures up. If you watch the movie before reading the book, you now have a picture in your mind, and the book will fill in all the details and gaps in the movie, enhancing your enjoyment of the book. That said, there are flaws to this theory: if the movie deviates to far from the book, you'll be pissed. And possibly confused. Or, if you have a good gap in time between reading the book and the time the movie comes out...enough time to forget some of the finer details...you could read the book first and not be in too much danger of hating the movie. :-)

Also, I've been very curious about this one, so I'm taking it I should read it?

Kristy B said...

I agree with Susie's theory, but not her conclusion. The book IS always better. No matter what. So read the book first. That way what is best will not only be better then the other but will always be best! Then the tv show, which will not only be not as good but probably will have some differences can be enjoyed separately as someone else's interpretations of the book.