Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ten on Tuesday, Sort Of

Since I'm kind of on a roll with lists this year, and it is Tuesday, I am bringing you a list of my top eleven Christmas movies. Yes, you read that right; it's a list of eleven. I tried and tried, but I couldn't get the list down to ten. Each movie on this list loved; I couldn't leave one off. You may want to get a cup of coffee or something...this could take awhile.

Typically I don't place the items in a particular order but today I actually am; I'm going to count down to my favorite Christmas movie of all time. No fair scrolling to the end and peeking...you've got to start with #11!


11. Babes in Toyland a.k.a March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934). I'm a huge Laurel and Hardy fan; this movie delights me. Matt is trying to tell me that it's not a Christmas movie; maybe he's right. However, Santa is in the movie and the heroes at the end are his Wooden Soldiers. That makes it Christmas enough for me. It's not Stan and Ollie's best work but I love it anyway.

10. Christmas Eve On Sesame Street (1978). Long before Elmo and countless other annoying Muppets, Big Bird was worried about how Santa was going to fit down the chimney. Bert and Ernie were exchanging gifts, Cookie Monster was trying hard to get a letter written to Santa and Bob was reminding us to keep Christmas with us all through the year. I can't remember a year when I haven't watched this at Christmastime.

9. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989). Poor Clark. All he wants is a "fun old-fashioned family Christmas" and properly working Christmas lights.

8. Elf (2003). This one ties for newest movie on the list but from the first time that I watched it with my buddies, I knew that it was going to be a classic.

7. Love Actually (2003). This is the other newbie on the list; I adore it! It's a fabulous ensemble piece. (*Disclaimer: this movie has a few extremely racy parts, watch at your own risk.)

6. A Christmas Story (1983). We have a miniature leg lamp in our living room. Need I say more?

5. Going My Way (1944). It's hard to go wrong with Bing, but the biggest reason that I love this one is that Barry Fitzgerald reminds me so much of my Granddad. SO much.

4. Holiday Inn (1942). "Oh, Linda Mason." Love it! But do I prefer the singing or the dancing? Ack! A question for the ages!

3. Mixed Nuts (1994). Words cannot express the genius of this movie. It's hysterical and brilliant and touching and perfect! I have a date to watch it with some people that I love this year; I'm beyond excited!

2. White Christmas (1954). Bing's classic. My #2 and John's favorite; we watch it together every year and that makes it even more wonderful. He brought it up the other day; he asked if I'd save this one for Christmas break so that he can watch it with me. Happiness.

And my all time, favorite Christmas movie....

1. It's A Wonderful Life (1946). I don't need to explain it; whether you love it or not, you certainly know it. It never, ever gets old. It's the last Christmas movie that I watch each year; I watch it on December 24th. I will love it forever. Once I've watched this movie and listened to my favorite Christmas song (ha..now you'll wonder), I'm ready for Christmas.


This brings to a close my contribution to NaBloPoMo for 2010. Thank you for spending some time with me this month. I really do enjoy taking the time to write and I appreciate your comments and feedback.

As November comes to a close and December arrives, I wish you all the very best this Christmas season. Enjoy the cooler weather, have fun decorating and baking and going to parties, spend time with those dear to you. But most of all, remember our Savior. He came into this world so that he could take on our sin. Yours and mine. He bridged the gap between us and our Heavenly Father so that one day we can spend eternity with Him. Christ is Christmas.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

3 comments:

L Coffman said...

Love those 40's movies too! Good list!

Sooz said...

Excellent list! I think Wonderful Life might be my favorite as well. I'll also add How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original, animated version) and Scrooged. Oh and Charlie Brown Christmas - can't forget that one!!

Thany said...

Love this. though my number 1 Christmas movie is most likely lining up with John's rather than yours.

And yes, Grinch and Charlie Brown have to go on there for me too.