Monday, November 8, 2010

Sweatshirts That Make You Cry

I don't generally care what I look like when I take John to school. It really doesn't matter; I never get out of the car or talk to anyone that early in the morning. The worst thing that can happen is that someone I know could drive by and see me as I'm getting into my car. If were to occur, they deserve what they see for having the nerve to look at me at 7:15am.

Usually, I throw on a pair of yoga pants and a tank top. My hair is always piled on top of my head and I wear my Uggs. You get the picture. With the weather finally deciding to cool off, I know have to add a jacket of sorts to the mix. This morning I grabbed one of Andy's sweatshirts.

About half way to school, I turned to look over my shoulder as I switched lanes and the sweatshirt bunched up around my face. Well, around my nose in particular. I don't know why this should surprise me, but it totally smelled like Andy. For a few seconds I felt like I was nineteen years old again and borrowing his sweatshirt. (Many of you might remember the green, Eddie Bauer sweatshirt that he used to wear.) It smelled quite lovely.

Oddly, the experience made me think of "Memories" from the Happy Days finale. I haven't seen the episode for years, so I have no idea how my brain dug that one up. I sang the song the rest of the way to school. When I got home I decided to look it up.

You know, when I was younger it used to make me cry thinking of getting married and leaving home (it's from Joanie and Chachi's wedding). Now I find that I put myself more in Howard and Marion's shoes; seeing their children grow up and leave the nest.

Apparently, that goofy little song and montage will always make me cry; it's just that now the tears are for a different reason.

The lesson learned is to wear my own sweatshirts unless I'm prepared to deal with the emotional roller coaster that comes with borrowing Andy's.

4 comments:

Crayl said...

Nice pathway. I love my hubby's sweater so very much, not just because it's wonderful, but because it smells like him.

ac the oblong said...

That's why I shower rarely, smoke cigars, and eat so much garlic and curry; I want you to remember the smell that made you fall in love with me so long ago.

Sooz said...

Love this. Smell is a powerful sense! Also, I'm wondering how the school dance went????????

Cyn said...

Awww! That crazy sense of smell is a strong and powerful thing. I love wearing my misters sweatshirts, it makes me feel safe and loved.