Wednesday, November 5, 2014

This Must Be What The Stones Were Talking About



It amuses me how frequently you want something that you can’t have or you want to use something that isn’t working.  Think about it...  You rarely crave Cinnabon at the mall until you’re on a diet.  You always get the itch to make cookies when you're out of eggs.  Crunchy chips and gooey caramel sound the best when you've got a toothache.  You need to run a zillion urgent errands precisely when your car breaks down.  You never thinking about going to the bathroom until you’re constipated.  (Too far?  Eh, I’m a boy mom…no topic is off limits.)  You see my point.

Today, I’m obsessing with food and drink.  I’m having fasting labs drawn tomorrow morning and they told me that I have to fast for twelve hours.  TWELVE!  I have these same tests run every year and they always tell me “nothing after midnight.  That’s easy…totally doable.  I’m equally fine with abstaining for the first three hours of my day tomorrow; I’m not a breakfast eater and the coffee can wait if it must.  The hard part is going to be the last two or three hours of today!  No late night coffee or tea before bed, no cocktail!  NO COCKTAIL, PEOPLE!  It’s like they have a complete and utter disregard for my nighttime routine.  

I’ll be fine until 9pm; Matthew has a concert so I won’t have anything available to me until he’s done.  But after that?  That time when I’m winding down before bed?  (No cocktail?!?)  Oye.  There’s only one solution: bed.

So tonight I’ll turn in at 9:30pm, hopefully get some extra sleep (doubtful, but that’s another story), and survive this trying ordeal.  

If I want to relate this to being thankful, I would say that I am thankful for my doctor. She is amazing and I am always grateful for her care.  The labs are an extension of her attention to detail and wanting to keep an eye on things.  I really do appreciate her and her help with my myriad of issues.

But come on.  Twelve hours?!?

No comments: