Saturday, November 1, 2014

Choosing To Be Thankful


The calendar seems quite certain that today is November 1st and if that is truly the case, then today begins NaBloPoMo for 2014.  Despite my lack of creativity and completely against my better judgment, tradition compels me to once again attempt to write each day.  As in years past, I wish that I had deep thoughts or highly inspirational words of wisdom and encouragement to share with you; unfortunately, I probably won’t.  As much as I dislike “mommy blogs,” I’m afraid that my ramblings might read much like a journal of daily life in the Coffman household.  I should have requested blog ideas and taken suggestions!

I did have one thought that wasn’t too terrible… A friend and I were both having pretty crummy days last week and we joked that we could just blog 30 Days of Misery.  You know, because we like to share.  Obviously that’s not going to happen, but it did occur to me that rather than attempt to force deep and profound insights that just might not be there right now, I could focus on 30 Days of Thankfulness.  So if there’s a day (or twenty) that I can’t think of something, you might just get to hear about some small thing that made me smile that day.  I hope that’s okay with you, my readers (all three of you!).  

With that in mind, today I am thankful for the changing of seasons.  

Fall and winter are by far my favorite seasons and I eagerly anticipate this time of year.   As much as I like my Halloween decorations, October in San Diego never really has that crisp, fall feeling.  Finally, as November is here, it’s starting to change.  Yesterday I sat at my desk and watched as the clouds rolled in and the breeze picked up; I was practically giddy!  And last night…it actually rained!  Oh, I was in heaven!  This morning I wore my Uggs when the Mr. and I went out for coffee, I’m taking down the jack-o-lanterns and replacing them with fall and harvest decorations, football is on, and cookies are baking in the oven.  

I could take or leave spring, and I could completely do without summer and the sun; but this - this is my time.  So for sweaters and boots and yummy kitchen smells and blankets and family time and pumpkin spice lattes and leaves that turn colors…for fall…I am thankful.

3 comments:

GrandmaSiSi said...

Great start! You got this.

MomOfDudes said...

Love this... I will follow with thanks.

Barbara said...

I always enjoy your blog, Michelle! You do actually post some profound things. Keep it up for those of us who don't.