Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Ten on Wednesday

I'd written a Ten on Tuesday list yesterday, but I didn't get it posted because I was distracted by my soapbox.  I did want to share it though, so here you go - what would have been yesterday's post!  Enjoy!



There are days (or periods of time) when your job is fun and great and wonderful.  Conversely, there are times when your job feels, well, less than magical.  I'm going through one of those slumps.  However, since I am working on this whole Thankfulness thing, I decided to list ten things about my job (even the silly stuff) that make me smile. It seems better to dwell on the fun rather than the junk.

1.  Helping the Littles.  This may come as a shock to you, but I honestly don't like kids.  That being the case, working at an elementary school occasionally seems like an odd choice for me.  But I really do love it when I am able to help a little one get through their day.  Some of them are pretty darned cute. 

2.  Summers and Breaks.  I have a job that gives me a week off at Thanksgiving, two at Christmas, one in February, one in March, and seven weeks during the summer.  It's hard to complain about that!  If I ever leave the school system, that'll be a huge adjustment.

3.  My new A.P.  We got a new Assistant Principal this year, and she is absolutely wonderful.  We sit across from each other so we can make faces at each other and communicate non-verbally when necessary.  Working with her is something that I look forward to every day.

4.  My Parking Space.  Who wouldn't like having their own parking space?  It's pretty rad.

5.  Flexibility/Understanding of Family Issues.  All of the ladies that I work with in the office are moms, so they are very cool when I have to leave suddenly or take time off.  You know, like when your son gets a concussion or punctures a lung, or when another son has to sing at out of town events.  They're pretty understanding and they don't really give me a hard time.  I appreciate that. 

6.  Casual Fridays.  It's amusing how happy I get when I pull out the jeans and t-shirts on Friday mornings. 

7.  Pandora.  This year we're listening to Pandora in the office each day.  It really does make the time pass more quickly; I've never liked working in a quiet office.  Definitely a positive change.

8.  Teachers Who Say Funny Things.  We've got some teachers who often say hysterical things and keep us in stitches.  I love our staff.

9.  Feeling Like I'm Contributing To My Family.  Paying for college is quite a tall order, as many of you know.  I'm thankful that I was provided with an opportunity to contribute, even in my small way.

10.  An Outlet For My Talents.  I'm ridiculously organized and efficient; I love that I have a place to use those skills.  After all, one can only organize one's house so often...at some point there isn't anything left to do and you need to move on.  Now I have a whole office and four other people to work on!  Making things run smoothly makes me very, very happy.



If you are in a position that you're not thrilled with, I would encourage you to start looking for the little things that make you happy.  They may seem small and insignificant, but I'm finding that given time, I am able to focus more on the good than the negative.  It's a daily struggle sometimes, but one that I think is worth tackling.  I don't want to let less than ideal circumstances rob me of  life's joy. 

No comments: