Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Remembering Long Cold Winter



Last week I posted about how you never want something as badly as when you can’t have it.  The saying goes, “The grass is always greener on the other side.”  Cinderella (the band, not the princess) wisely told us back in the 80’s that you “Don’t Know What You Got (Till It’s Gone).”  All true.

Today, I’m remembering just how wonderful it was to be a stay-at-home mom.

Yesterday I had the day off (Veteran’s Day).  It was so great!  It started out perfectly; I slept in and was then able to go to the gym when the sun was actually out.  I did some work around the house and took care of a few appointments that I’d been putting off.  I worked on my Christmas cards and began my search for this year’s new Christmas music.  I enjoyed my first Red Cup of the season, and I took the time to fix a delicious and involved dinner (something that I don’t have time to do on work days).  I listened to a bunch of music and I played one of my favorite card games with my loves.  I didn’t feel rushed or like I was simply hanging on and flying from one commitment to the next; it was fabulous.

I am thankful for my job as it is very much needed during these college years.

I am thankful for our Veterans and for the reminder to thank them and pray for them.  I honor both of my grandfathers, Walter Reed and Robert Heyenga, who both served in the Navy.

I am thankful that I had the opportunity to stay home with my boys while they were little.  Our family made sacrifices so that it could happen, and my husband was our champion and amazing provider while working full time and putting himself through college, all so that I could be home with the littles.  It was worth every second; the bonds that the boys and I have are priceless.  

And today I am thankful for days off, when I can put the junk of life aside and just be a wife and a mom.  I am eagerly anticipating the coming holidays.  There are numerous breaks ahead and I will be able to cook, clean, bake, play games, watch movies, and make new memories with the ones that I love most.

No comments: