Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tuesday, Football Style



In case there’s anyone out there who hasn’t figured me out yet, I’ll publicly set the record straight:  I am not a girlie girl.  God knew what he was doing when he made me a boy mom.  I don’t do typical girlie things (other than the occasional pedicure), and being in a room full of women is exceedingly difficult for me.  I’m frequently jealous when Andy and his friends have a guy’s movie night as it’s almost always something that I want to see.  I actually thought it could be fun to do a Ten on Tuesday list of chick flicks that I enjoy; I might not be able to come up with ten!   

At any rate, one thing that I DO love is football.  I love the game and I’m quite knowledgeable about it.  The TV turns on at around 9am on Saturday morning and it goes off at around 9pm, having switched from game to game to game all day.  We aren’t sitting there glued to each one, but it’s always on keeping us company.  The same is true for Sundays, Monday evenings, and Thursday evenings.  So in light of one of my very favorite things, I give to you (in no particular order) ten silly things that accompany football, which I love.

1.  Naps.  Football makes naps better.  When you’re tired or need an afternoon pick-me-up, football is the perfect background noise. 

2.  Sunday Updates.  One of our Associate Pastors is a Michigan State fan and he references them in some way every Sunday morning when he comes up to give the announcements.  I don't know how the rest of the congregation feels, but I genuinely look forward to it each week.  

3.  Stadium Nachos.  My treat whenever we’re at a game.  $10 of cheesy, salty goodness.

4.  Jon Gruden.  The eternal optimist.  To quote one of my favorite Christmas movies, “(Jon Gruden) could see the bright side of a plague.”  After a long Monday at work, it’s nice to have a little Gruden cheer.  

5.  Watching my sons play.  There’s nothing like watching your sons play the sport that you love.  I’ve never experienced such a unique mix of pride and terror.  I’m glad that they did it, but now I’m glad that they’re done.  

6.  The Bowl Schedule.  Each year when the college bowl schedule comes out, my Mr. prints out a detailed spreadsheet of each and every game.  Teams, times, locations, etc.  It’s carefully slipped into a page protector and it lives on our fridge for the better part of a month.  There’s no excuse for missing a game!  And yes, we do occasionally make holiday-ish plans around the game schedule.  

7.  “Come on, man!”  If you’ve heard it, you know what I’m talking about.

8.  A Gym Aid.  Saturdays and Sundays are my favorite time to go to the gym; the time passes so quickly when there’s a game to watch.

9.  Picking a team to care about.  Let’s face it - you can’t have a passionate opinion about every game, but it’s fun to pick a team and cheer wildly for them for three hours.  Take this coming Thursday night…the Browns vs. the Bengals.  I really don’t care, but I’ll find a reason to root for one of them!

10.  Lou Holtz.  There are few things that bring me true delight as quickly and as thoroughly as listening to Lou speak.  I. Love. Him.  

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

No comments: