Monday, November 23, 2009

It's In The Genes

Before I continue with my observation for the day, I just want you to know that I'm fully aware of the fact that I fell off of the blog wagon this past weekend. I had a sick kid, I didn't feel so hot myself, I was focusing on Christmas cards, etc. It just didn't get done. And you know what? The world will go on! (For those of you that know me well, you know how big of a deal it is for me to say that!)

And now, today's thought....

There are a great many things that I've passed on to my kids: my love for home-made mashed potatoes, my anal retentive need for everything to be tidy (well, only one kid got that), the general shape of my nose, my competitive nature, the list goes on and on. Tonight, I discovered one more thing that at least one of my kids picked up.

We stopped by the library after hours to return a book for Andy and I asked Matt to hop out and put it in the book drop. What he did next totally made me giggle. He ran over there, placed the book in, closed the door to activate the drop, then opened it again and peeked in just to make sure that it was empty.

That's not something I've ever told him to do. All I can think of is that he's seen me do that a million times with mail boxes so it must have made sense to him to do it at the library.

My kid makes me smile. :-)