Saturday, November 7, 2009

That's Where I Left It

I've had a bit of trouble getting into the holiday spirit this year. Maybe it's because we've been so busy. It probably has something to do with all the hot weather we've been having. It may also be due to the fact that baseball season never ends now that we have a boy playing travel ball.

Whatever the reason, I've been slow getting going this year. I was happy to put out the Halloween decorations in October because we had house guests. I dutifully switched them out for the Thanksgiving decorations on November 1st because that's what you're supposed to do. I've had trouble, Red Cup and all, kicking into Christmas time though. I started our Christmas letter, purchased my Christmas cards and have even picked up a present or two, but I haven't really been able to jump on board the Christmas train.

That is, until today. Today was absolutely perfect.

I should have known when I got up that it was going to be a good day; it was really cold this morning. That always makes me terribly happy. When I left the house a little after 9am, it was still cold enough to warrant a bit of layering and two shirts.

I then proceeded directly to Starbucks and purchased my four-point-latte. It was still super cold outside after I got it, so it made the already perfect coffee goodness all that much better.

Latte in hand, I walked a few doors down and entered (insert angels ooo-ing here) Target. Frankly, it started out like any other Target trip; I had a list of various household and miscellaneous items to purchase. Strangely though, no, magically, something started to happen as I wandered through the store: I started paying attention to all of the Christmas items on the end caps. I took the time to really look at things, to ponder what I would like to get people this year. By the time I reached the Christmas section in the back, I was fully overcome with holiday spirit and I was singing along with the Christmas tunes!

I ended up buying a few presents while I was there. I even purchased a Christmas cd to add to my collection. After all, one can never have too much Christmas music. I highly recommend the cd, it's lots of fun! It's the soundtrack to a great Christmas movie...

So it may have taken me a while to get in the spirit, but I finally did and now Christmas season is in full swing. Oh, don't worry, we'll still take the time to enjoy Thanksgiving; it won't get lost. But Christmas season is here folks, and I have fully embraced it. Apparently, I'd just left my Christmas spirit at Target! Thank you, you big red bulls eye, for keeping an eye on it for me until I came to retrieve it.

1 comment:

Thany said...

Oh Target. How loyal you are to those of us who hand over hundreds of thousands of our money to you each year. This is no one sided relationship.

Long Live the Bullseye, Amen.