Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Never A Dull Moment

In mid-July, we had quite the adventure. While I was in Reno for the weekend taking in excellent films at the cinema and filling my body with o-so-healthy food and drink (ha!), my youngest son was playing in a baseball tournament in Menifee, California.

Andy and I kept in touch via phone calls and texts; I was apprised of the scores of the various games and exactly how Matt was doing at each at bat, etc. When my phone rang at 4pm, just as I was getting ready to drive up to Lake Tahoe for dinner with my buddies, I assumed that it was another update. Well, an update it was, but not the kind a mom wants to get.

He was calling to report that Matt had "just had several of his teeth knocked out." I was sure he was kidding, I'd just talked to him about 15 minutes before. He wasn't. After they got some of the blood out of the way and could take a look (ewwww), the teeth were there but they'd been pushed way back, dropped all the way down and were dangling by their roots.

Not knowing what was ahead for Matt, I hopped on a plane and flew home. Andy received some instruction on how to "hold" the teeth in there in transit and they made the hour-long drive back to San Diego to see the orthodontist. It was very cool of our orthodontist to meet them at 6pm on a Saturday night.

Thanks to Andy's brilliant prepping, our orthodontist's great care and a whole bunch of prayers answered; I'm happy to report that as of yesterday we've gone from this...


(Yes, those are the seams from the baseball imprinted on his upper lip.)


(The thought was to shove the teeth back into place, put braces on them and try to hold them in while the bones fused around them and locked the teeth back in.)

...to this!



We still have to wait a while; they said that if the teeth are going to die it could take up to a year for that to happen. But for now they are strong enough to be brace-free while we wait!

Yay!!! Love that smile!

2 comments:

Thany said...

Oh man, I will not forget that phone call--EVER!
He's so handsome! And, um, mustache!!!!!!

Sooz said...

whoah. How'd he get so old? Glad he's doing better. We missed you at the lake.