Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Just What The Doctor Ordered

Today was that day; the day that we all look forward to each year. Today was my annual physical. Mind you, while it's never what I'd call a pleasant experience, I have one of the best doctors in the world so it's never really that bad. One of our scheduled discussion items was my blood work.

Let me back up...

Last year, I had some labs that came back less than ideal. A few of the numbers were downright spooky. Basically, my arteries were thinking of closing up and quitting and I was approaching numbers that were bringing me nearer to Sugarbetes. (That's diabetes for those who didn't watch SNL on Saturday night....)

After receiving said lab results, I was told to "eat better and exercise and we'll recheck in 6 months". Honestly, I didn't do anything; I made no changes whatsoever. I don't really have a good reason, either. I just chose not to make any changes.

Six months ago, I went in for another set of labs and to no one's surprise, they came back worse. My doc was not happy with me at all. She told me that if I didn't make some drastic changes, I was going to have to start medication for these issues and cut out all fat and sugar. (Seriously, who can do that?) I quietly listened to the lecture, promised to do better (or at least to do something), and agreed that I'd have my labs drawn at the end of August so that they would be ready for today's appointment.

Did I make what I'd call drastic changes? No. But I made some little ones. I ate better over the summer and started exercising occasionally. I started taking baby steps.

Several weeks ago though, I hit a road bump. I thought about giving up; I was very frustrated. Thankfully, a wise friend chewed me out and got me back on track. So I kept with it, I did what I could and I had my blood drawn about ten days ago.

You know what I found out today? My labs are GREAT! She said I'm the "poster child for what eating in moderation and exercising can do". She hugged me! Woo hoo!

I'm very thankful, this has been a very stressful time for me. I'm eating better, I want to continue that. I'm exercising daily and loving it (more on that progress to come in another blog). All in all, it was a great physical.

You wanna know how I celebrated my newly diagnosed health? I went to the mall and ate a Cinnabon for lunch, of course!

Yep. That's me. The Poster Child.

4 comments:

Thany said...

I care for the poster child very much.

Also thankful for the wise friend.

:)


(I got to type AHOY in the word verification!)

Kristy B said...

HoooRAY!

Crayl said...

I am sure it was hard for that friend to chew you out. I am really happy your small changes made the difference.Whew! Hurray!

Sooz said...

Good job, woman! (And thank you for telling us on the other site when you post, cuz this one doesn't tell you.) I'm proud of you - changes like that are very hard to make, but you're doing it!